Today the entire team focused on the Lakota home. We had four Lakota working with us. We trimmed trees, glued carpet down, installed trim, did finishing work on the steel roof and siding, installed cabinets, etc.
In the evening we headed off to a prayer meeting in Kyle, SD (55 mile drive one way) to participate in a monthly prayer group to pray for hope within the community and specific prayers raised by the Lakota and other participants. This was not planned, we were invited just this afternoon, but we are grateful for all opportunities God has presented. The session was very moving in many ways:
- Hearing prayers with Native American terms – “warriors of salvation and against evil”, “walls of fire for protection”, "spear of justice”, “strength of traditions”, etc.
- Prayers focused on getting Jesus' help to stop the suicides by seeking ways to love, raise leaders/examples, help educate the lost, etc.
- Learning that this is a sister church of the Restoration Church we built five years ago. Meeting the new pastor and hearing that the church has grown significantly even since last year was a major God moment, as this team was instrumental in building the foundation of this church.
- This may be the only new church that has been approved by the reservation council. The council only approved this based on the reputation of the main church as they are very concerned about several church organizations that have come into the reservation with the intent of changing the very fabric of the Lakota and not coming to share their love and teach salvation.
- The board is composed mainly of Lakota, but the pastors are now both “white”. However, their purpose is to develop Lakota leaders to replace them
Prayers for today include:
- Safety for our team as we work on these homes
- For God to answer the prayers we heard from the community this evening
- Encourage love of those that are struggling and lost
- Grow leaders in the community to be examples
- Build relationships between the lost and the found
- Open the hearts of everyone to care for those that are struggling
- Open the minds of the lost and break down barriers to the salvation of Jesus
- Enable the lost to move away from the evil in their lives and repent for their sins
- Encouragement for the Lakota that are working beside us
- No rain on Wednesday as we will be pouring concrete
- Good turnout at our community BBQ on Wednesday (flyers were sent out today)